Do you have a big idea to share and a compelling story to tell? Are you passionate about voicing the big ‘why’ behind what you do to inspire your tribe? Would your organisation or business benefit greatly from your own powerful TED-like talk to be filmed in front of a live audience?
Then join us at Talk on Purpose. Transform your speaking and storytelling skills for life, and get your story seen and heard by those that matter. Check out some of our amazing past talks on Slow School’s YouTube channel:
This intensive four-day program will help you unearth your purpose, structure your talk, tell your most engaging stories and put it all together in a short speech for sharing live on stage.
Working with Australia’s leading speakers and visionaries, you’ll take your white-hot core of an idea and learn the steps to develop a life-changing 3-5 minute TED-like talk that could be shared with any audience from 1 person to 1000.
You’ll gain the skills and knowledge required to become a high impact speaker while enjoying the care, support and friendship of your buddies and Slow School Faculty members.
On the final night you’ll be in the spotlight sharing your talk with over 100 family, friends and work colleagues at the Talk on Purpose Public Graduation evening where the People’s Choice Award will be announced at our after-party.
What you’ll learn and from whom
- Purpose with Carolyn Tate, Founder of Slow School
- Structure with Jon Yeo, TEDxMelbourne curator
- Storytelling with Yamini Naidu, Business Storyteller
- How to put Structure and Story together with Sandy McDonald, TEDx speaker
- Stage, lighting, filming with Rob Moorman, social videographer
- How to market your talk and make the most of it to raise your profile.
Dates and times
Please note the program runs all day (9am to 5pm) Tuesday 17 through Friday 20 November. A public Graduation Night will be held during the evening of Friday 20 November. (Thursday is a personal day of practice and preparation.)
What you'll get
- Essential pre-work to be completed before the course
- Learning modules including clarity of purpose, talk development, story harvesting, memory and delivery skills, marketing and more.
- Personal coaching and script reviews with our facilitators
- Buddy group practice sessions, coaching and rehearsals
- Live presentation at our graduation night for you to invite family and friends
- A professional video produced for your website and online marketing
- Promotion of your video and business through Slow School's digital platforms
- A post graduation celebration and ‘accountability’ follow up session.
- Clarity around your purpose and your "why"
- Courage to embrace a life-changing challenge
- Confidence and vastly improved public speaking
- A platform to start seeking speaking opportunities
- An improved ability to write succinctly and with clarity
- An improved ability to communicate with empathy and to give and receive feedback
- A framework for future stories and videos
- A marketing and PR tool for your business
- Ability to pitch or present to anyone anywhere
- Deep connections, collaboration and friendships.
Between them, your facilitators have many years of experience business, professional speaking and storytelling. They are the best in the country and there is no other program that combines the strengths and talents of this team.
- Jon Yeo: Jon is the curator for TEDx Melbourne, an event that began with a mailing list of 53 people and now sells out events of almost 900 seats and had over 2 million media mentions in 2014. Jon works with the top speakers of the National Speakers Association and TEDx speakers all over the world.
- Yamini Naidu: Yamini is the world's only economist turned business storyteller. She works with CEOs, business leaders and entrepreneurs inspiring them to make the shift from spreadsheets to stories.
- Sandy McDonald: Sandy is a TEDx speaker, a coach and an author. She is the director of Get It Right Online, founder of Why You Must Blog and the Australian charity KasCare. Her TEDx October 2014 talk "Stories Save Lives" received a standing ovation. Watch it here
- Robert Moorman: Rob is the founder of Hunting with Pixels, a social media video company offering video strategy and production services. In addition to managing the video production of this program, Robert was a participant in the inaugural 2014 program where he won The People's Choice Award. Watch his talk
- Carolyn Tate (your host): Carolyn is the founder of The Slow School of Business (Slow School), an author of four books, and an educator and speaker. Her company, Carolyn Tate & Co, is a Certified B Corporation. Carolyn heads the Victorian community for Conscious Capitalism Australia.
Important considerations before booking
- The course fee is non-refundable. Your place in the course can however be transferred to another person.
- This course is transformative in that it truly digs deep on your purpose and your life stories. It may uncover buried emotions and feelings. If you think it necessary you may wish to seek the support of a qualified counselor. Please note our facilitators are not qualified counselors or therapists.
- You will be required to be present for the whole of the program and times as listed.
- You will need to complete the pre-work and come prepared as requested to the course. It will greatly improve the outcomes and your satisfaction with the end product.
- This course is all about giving as much as getting. You will be required to buddy with others in the group, provide genuine well-considered feedback and support those in need when needed.
- While we offer you an incredible learning platform and opportunity you are also required to take responsibility for your own learning. If you need help, ask for it. If you don’t understand something, question it. If you know something helpful, share it. In the end we are teachers and we are all students.
- Please read the Slow School Learning Philosophy and Principles before registering. We encourage all People of Slow School to understand and practice this.
Have questions about Talk on Purpose - Inspired by TED talks? Share yours with us.?
Contact The Slow School of Business (Slow School)