This is a 2 day intensive “hands on” training program that is designed for Emergency Practitioners and trainees with little or no previous ultrasound experience.
The course will be delivered by medical educationalists and ultrasound experts ensuring a collaborative and supportive learning environment. A variety of high quality equipment is used in conjunction with scanning models and phantoms, ensuring the consolidation of practical scanning.
The course will cover the theoretical and practical curriculums for Basic Gynaecology, Basic Early and Advanced Early Pregnancy.
On completion of this course the participant will:
1. In the event the applicant has not completed their ASUM Physics course, a 90 minute session on physics, artifacts and image optimization will be held to ensure an adequate understanding.
2. Recognise and describe the normal and abnormal ultrasound anatomy of the uterus, ovaries and adnexae.
3. Describe and perform the transabdominal and transvaginal ultrasound examinations of the female pelvis and first trimester pregnancy.
4. Recognise common abnormalities of the female pelvis and first trimester pregnancy in the acute clinical environment.
5. Optimise the imaging parameters, transducer and patient to produce a diagnostic ultrasound image.
6. Have the clinical knowledge and ultrasound skills to be able to make appropriate management decisions.
7. Understand the limitations and pitfalls of performing an ultrasound examination of the female pelvis and early pregnancy
The curriculum includes:
- Basic physics, artifacts and image optimisation
- Scanning techniques, Physical Principles and Safety
- Anatomy and physiology and pathology of the female pelvis
- Transabdominal and transvaginal female pelvic scan techniques
- Imaging and scanning techniques of the normal/abnormal female pelvis
- Imaging of early Pregnancy including (viability, bleeding, pelvic pain and ectopic pregnancy)
- Imaging and documentation protocols for the female pelvis and early pregnancy
- Patient management in the clinical situation
- Limitations and pitfalls of basic gynaecological and early pregnancy ultrasound
AUSTRALIAN SCHOOL OF MEDICAL IMAGING
The ASMI campus is located on the 6th Floor of the Avanti Commercial suite
building at 1 C Burdett St , Hornsby. The Avanti buildings are very close to the Hornsby Railway station and almost adjacent to the intersection of Burdett and
George streets Hornsby.
Accessing the ASMI office
The main entrance when walking to the campus is from Burdett Street.
• At the main entry there
is a security pad on the
left hand side of the
• Enter 616 and press the
‘bell’ icon (this will ring
at the ASMI office and seminar room
allowing the doors to be
opened and allow lift
Use the lift on the right hand side and proceed to level 6.
Follow the corridor to the back. The ASMI 616 Suite is located on your right.