British Isles seminar - Canberra
Saturday, 2 March 2013 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (AEST)
Weston Creek, ACT
Paul Milner is a professional genealogist, lecturer and author, specialising in British Isles research for over 30 years. Paul was born and raised in northern England and settled in the US in 1975. He is an internationally recognised speaker on British Isles research and migration. He is the lead presenter on the 3rd Unlock the Past history and genealogy cruise in February 2013. This seminar is one of a series he is doing in six cities around Australia either side of the cruise.
WHEN: Saturday 2 March 2013, 9am - 5pm
WHERE: Canberra Irish Club, 6 Parkinson Street ACT
pre-booked - by Thursday 28 February 2013
- $39.50 - full day
- $29.50 - morning only 8.30am to 2pm
- $29.50 - afternoon only 12 noon to 5pm
on the day
- $60 - full day
- $40 - half day
CLICK HERE for more information
|9.00am||registration, exhibition, book sales plus Flip-Pal demos|
|9.55am||Welcome and seminar introduction|
|10.00am||Follow your migrating ancestors||Paul Milner|
|10.50am||break and exhibition|
|11.30am||Occupation and Guild Records||Paul Milner|
|12.10pm||Findmypast.com.au: gateway to the world collection||Rosemary Kopittke|
|12.40pm||Flip-Pal mobile scanner demo||Rosemary Kopittke|
|12.55pm||lunch break and exhibition|
|2.10pm||promotions - UTP and partners/sponsors|
|2.30pm||Overcoming the 'dead end doldrums'||Paul Milner|
|3.20pm||break and exhibition|
|3.40pm||Scottish Kirk Session and Poor Relief Records||Paul Milner|
- Follow your migrating ancestors - Our ancestors moved over long and short distances within the British Isles. See examples of the records that show where our ancestors moved, where they went, and often why they moved as well.
- Occupation and Guild records - Learn about apprenticeship, freeman and guild records and how they controlled your ancestor’s trade. Identify sources to put your ancestor into a true occupational context.
- Overcoming the 'dead end doldrums' - All researchers at some time enter the doldrums and feel they have reached a dead end in tracing a particular line. Learn clear steps to overcome the doldrums and get around the dead end.
- Scottish Kirk Session and Poor Relief records - The Scottish Kirk addressed many moral and practical issues within the community leaving a vast collection of records. Learn how to locate and use these records to add flesh to the lives of your ancestors.
- Findmypast Australasia: gateway to the World Collection - Learn what a great range of unique records are available for researching family and local history on this new site and learn the best way to do it. Recent developments have seen the data available here more than double!
details to come
Prizes and special offers - Click here for details.